Iranian and Kurdish Women’s Rights Organisation
IKWRO is a registered charity (1104550), established in August 2002 by refugee women from Iranian and Kurdistan regions who identified the needs for specialist services to support Iranian and Kurdish women in the UK, specifically women and girls subjected to ‘honour’ based violence (HBV), forced marriages (FM), child marriages and female genital mutilation (FGM). Later on they extended their services to Afghan, Arab and Turkish women and girls.
The organisation’s main services are:
Advice, Advocacy, outreach and counseling: IKWRO provides direct and confidential services for women and girls to enable them to leave violent situations. Advice, Advocacy and Outreach services are provided in Farsi, Kurdish, Turkish, Arabic, Dari, Pashto and English languages.
Counseling is provided in Farsi, Kurdish, Arabic and English languages.
Training and Raising Awareness and Training: IKWRO provides;
- training to professionals from the public and voluntary sector to improve their understanding of the issues facing our clients
- training to women and girls to increase their knowledge of the rights and entitlements and to ensure their safety
- to communities to change the mind set
Campaigning, Influencing government and statutory agencies: IKWRO has been campaigning to increase the government’s commitment to protecting minority ethnic women and girls and their rights in the UK through changes in law and policies.
ESOL and Volunteering: IKWRO will be starting to provide some ESOL and volunteering opportunities to women who have come to settle in UK in order to help them to gain some language and life skills.
IKWRO’s role within the consortium
IKWRO is part of three strands under the consortium bid to London Council:
- Advice and Counselling: IWKRO provides advice in Farsi, Kurdish, Arabic, Turkish, Dari, Pashto and English languages in the London Boroughs Camden, Hammersmith and Fulham, Southwark, Westminster, Merton, Sutton of and counselling in Farsi, Kurdish, Arabic and English languages in Camden, City, Islington, Hammersmith and Fulham and Sutton.
IKWRO will also provide specialist and generic confidence building support groups in the above boroughs.
IKWRO has set up a surgery in Sutton and one in Hammersmith and Fulham.
- Harmful Practices: IKWRO provides awareness raising, training and case work in Female Genital Mutilation in Middle Eastern communities in London and provide counselling in Farsi, Arabic, Kurdish and English languages.
IWKRO will provide support groups and training under this strand.
- Prevention: IKWRO will deliver harmful practices training in schools in partnership with Tender (the lead organisation).