Latin American Women’s Rights Services
The Latin American Women’s Rights Service (LAWRS) is a human rights organisation founded in 1983, run for women and by women to facilitate the tools and information for Latin American migrant women in the UK to break free from poverty and violence. Their aim is to empower women to achieve personal and social change.
Their programmes include:
- Tackling poverty: advice, casework and support on housing, money and debt and access to social protection
- VAWG: prevention work, casework and advocacy to ensure that Latin American women are free from VAWG and can access safety. They also have a specialised counselling and psychotherapy service for survivors of VAWG
- Development and integration: including employment support, work placements, ESOL, specialised training and a programme in local areas to ensure that Latin American women can empower themselves, can access services and are able to integrate to life in the UK
- Policy, advocacy and campaigning work: on women’s rights, migrant’s rights and ethnic minorities
LAWRS is a holistic organisation supporting Latin American women. Their services are free of charge, in Spanish and Portuguese and provided in women only premises. They support more than 4000 women per year and have the AQS Quality accreditation, Investors in People and Investors in Volunteers with a commendation.
LAWRS role within the consortium
LAWRS are part of three different strands within the ASCENT Consortium including:
- Advice and counselling: they offer advice, advocacy, support and casework to women survivors of VAWG in Lambeth. Southwark. Lewisham and Wandsworth. They also offer specialist counselling services in Spanish and Portuguese to Latin American women survivors of VAWG. As part of this strand we also run group activities in certain boroughs
- Women against harmful practices: they are part of the harmful practices strand offering advice and counselling services to Latin American women mainly in the areas of honour based violence and other specific Latin American harmful practices. They provide these services for women from certain London boroughs.
- Prevention: They are part of the prevention strand working with Tender and other organisations in raising awareness about healthy relationships in Secondary Schools across London
Find out more: